In today’s world, extreme weather events are becoming increasingly common. From hurricanes and wildfires to snowstorms and ice storms, these events can cause widespread damage and power outages. While we can’t always control the weather, we can take steps to prepare for its impacts. Winter weather can cause power outages in a number of ways, including:
- Ice and snow: Ice and snow can weigh down power lines, causing them to break or sag. This can lead to outages for both individual homes and entire neighborhoods. Ice can also bring tree branches and whole trees down across power lines.
- High winds: High winds can also damage power lines, causing them to break or become entangled. This can lead to widespread outages, especially in areas with a lot of trees.
- Freezing temperatures: Freezing temperatures can cause power stations to be overloaded.
Winter weather can also indirectly lead to outages by making it more difficult for power companies to maintain their infrastructure. For example, heavy snow can make it difficult for workers to access damaged lines, and freezing temperatures can make it difficult for crews to repair equipment.
One of the best ways to prepare for power outages is to invest in solar panels and batteries. Solar panels can help you generate your own electricity, even during an outage. Batteries can store this electricity so that you can use it when you need it most.
Benefits of Solar and Batteries
There are many benefits to having solar panels and batteries, including:
- Reduced reliance on the grid: With solar panels, you can generate your own electricity, which means you’ll be less reliant on the grid. This can save you money on your energy bills and help you avoid power outages.
- Increased peace of mind: Knowing that you have a backup source of power can give you peace of mind during an outage. You’ll be able to keep your lights on, your food cold, and your medical devices running.
- Environmental benefits: Solar energy is a clean and renewable source of energy. By using solar panels, you can help reduce your carbon footprint and protect the environment.
Mountain View Solar: Your Partner in Solar and Battery Storage
If you’re considering investing in solar panels and batteries, Mountain View Solar is a great partner to have. With over 15 years of experience, Mountain View Solar provides proven solar and battery storage solutions. We offer a wide range of products and services, including:
- Free solar consultations: Mountain View Solar will come to your home and assess your energy needs. We will then work with you to design a custom solar and battery storage system that meets your needs and budget.
- Expert installation: Our experienced installers will ensure that your solar and battery storage system is installed correctly and safely.
- Ongoing support: We provide ongoing support to ensure that your solar and battery storage system is working properly.
Additional Tips for Conserving Energy
In addition to having a backup plan, there are a number of things you can do to conserve energy during an outage:
- Turn off lights and electronics when you’re not using them. This includes things like TVs, computers, and stereos. You can also use smart power strips to automatically turn off devices when they’re not in use.
- Use natural light whenever possible. Open curtains and blinds during the day to let in sunlight. This will reduce your need for artificial light.
- Replace traditional light bulbs with LEDs. LEDs use up to 80% less energy than traditional incandescent bulbs.
- Seal up air leaks around your windows and doors. This will help to keep your home warm in the winter and cool in the summer, reducing the need for power to heat and cool.
- Stay informed: Monitor weather reports and follow the instructions of local officials.
An Integrated System
Mountain View Solar can integrate your solar panels, battery backup system, and generator into a single system that is intelligently controlled. The system will automatically switch to the generator if your solar panels and battery backup system are not able to provide enough power. Once the batteries have recharged, the generator will shut down and your home continues to be powered by solar and battery power. We can also integrate a fully solar/battery/generator interactive system.
Benefits of an Integrated System
There are many benefits to having an integrated solar, battery backup, and generator system, including:
- 24/7 power: You will have access to power 24/7, even during a long-term outage.
- Peace of mind: You will have peace of mind knowing that you are prepared for any power outage.
- Reduced reliance on the grid: You will be less reliant on the grid, which can save you money on your energy bills.